Badagry, a littoral town in Lagos was founded precisely in 1425 thus enabling the town to be considered as one of the ancient destinations in Nigeria.
Drawing from historical accounts and records, Badagry was infamous for her involvement in the trans-Atlantic slave trade. Its strategic location at the coast served as an entrance point for early European missionaries, explorers and merchants in Nigeria. Despite the upheavals of the trans-Atlantic slave trade coupled with other historical events such as the emergence of Christianity in Nigeria, the town still has within her domain; artefacts, monuments, and other places of remembrance.
The resilient attitude of the natives in celebrating cultural festivals and commiserating historical events has helped preserve some of Africa’s rich heritage. Till date, the Badagry festival which is in commensuration of the abolition of slave trade has not only been the pride of the natives but for Blacks in Diaspora. Aside from her cultural assets, there are notable natural attractions within the destination such as beaches, coconut plantations, Virgin Islands and a long expanse of lagoon that stretches across the town.
UNESCO having discovered the attributes and potentials in Badagry declared the town a “Tourism Haven” in 2002. Currently, the town accounts for both local and international visitors at the destination.
There are several attractions in Badagry, which include:
1. FIRST STOREY BUILDING IN NIGERIA;
2. BADAGRY HERITAGE MUSEUM;
3. SERIKI ABASS SLAVE BARACOON;
4. THE AGIA TREE MONUMENT;
5. VLEKETE SLAVE MARKET;
6. GBEREFU PENINSULA (POINT OF NO RETURN);
7. WAWU PALACE CANNON GUNS;
8. WHISPERING PALMS RESORT
9. TOPO ISLAND CATHOLIC RUINS;
10. THE SATO DRUM STATUE AT BADAGRY ROUNDABOUT;
11. THOMAS’ ANGLICAN PRIMARY SCHOOL (FIRST PRIMARY SCHOOL IN NIGERIA);
12. THE ROYAL PALACE OF THE PARAMOUNT RULER OF BADAGRY KINGDOM;
13. MOBEE FAMILY SLAVE RELICS MUSEUM;
14. DISTRICT OFFICER’S RESIDENCE. WHISPERING PALMS RESORT;
15. AGBALATA MARKET;
16. GEORGE FREEMINGO’S TOMB;
17. ILAJE FISHISHING COMMUNITY;
18. PERMACULTURE FOREST GARDEN;
19. NIGERIA FRENCH LANGUAGE VILLAGE;
20. ADMINISTATIVE STAFF COLLEGE OF NIGERIA, (ASCON, Badagry);
21. SUNTAN BEACH RESORT (BADAGRY BEACH);
22. EARLY MISSIONARIES CEMETERY;
23. SEME BORDER;
24. Q-BRAT ZOO.
25. DE JAMES ZOOLOGICAL GARDENS.